Wednesday, June 9, 2010

On Goodbyes

I'm not one for insomnia. I love my sleep too much to pass it up, but right now, it is playing hard-to-get. Less than an hour ago, I said goodbye to one of my best friends, one who has catalyzed so many positive changes in my life in the past year. It's just starting to sink in: a nice, refined, and even healthy sadness. Though I believe the only final goodbye is in death, there is something about the word "goodbye" holds a strange, sad finality to it. This is why I normally prefer alternatives, such as "Laters!" or just a salute. They distract.

Technically, I have no reason to be sad. He's starting a marvelous new chapter in his life, and we'll still be in touch. Yet, it may just be the word itself that brings things down. The brain tends to subdue the rest of the body in order to fight change. Nonetheless, this is the final sequence of my Act I. Now that he has flown, I shall also fly home for several days, and then, an entirely new life begins. New horizons. New futures. New friends. New challenges. This should be a joyous time for all, but perhaps a little sadness is necessary to acknowledge old happiness and clear the way for the new. I hope so.

In any case, goodbye, and good luck. I send nothing but love and admiration with you in your suitcase and keep nothing but gratitude for knowing you. Shine on, stay fabulous, and for Pete's sake, live, live, live!

No comments:

Post a Comment