The natural beauty of Costa Rica cannot be contained by words or expressed in a photograph, though still I try. There is something magical in looking out upon the endless green after spending so much time in the browns and grays of a big city. I appreciate the country's insistence on living as harmoniously as possible with nature ("Pura Vida" is a common expression), despite my belly-aching over toilet paper. I also found that the three towns I visited, while all having elements designed to appeal to tourists, none seemed overly touristic. While the country claims high literacy rates, the spelling on signs (in English and Spanish), as well as the weak English of many concierge employees, make a working knowledge of Spanish not only a useful tool but also an enhancer of the experience.
I can definitely see myself returning to Arenal and Manuel Antonio. Time spent there was just too short. Monteverde was beautiful, though I can only see myself returning to explore the mountain towns and catch a glimpse of the elusive quetzal. I understand that Guanacaste and Osa Peninsula are absolutely phenomenal for wildlife viewing, so I could definitely see myself exploring these areas in the future.
For as much as I griped, I did have a lot of fun traveling with my family. There were some language issues, but for the most part, there were a lot of laughs to be had. I'm lucky in that respect. We may have another trip planned next year for my brother's graduation and mom's birthday. Maybe China. The language barrier will be there for all of us... or will it? Travel log out.
- What I've learned from this trip:
- Locals love it when you put forth the effort to speak their language, and having that ability makes communication all the easier.
- While delicious fruit is available in abundance, don't expect to get your full 3-5 servings of vegetables.
- After learning how banana groves are the prime living spaces for the fer-de-lance and the Brazilian wandering spider, I will never let a banana go to waste again.
- After seeing the steep, slippery hills on which coffee is grown and learning how farmers get bit in the faces by eyelash vipers lurking in the plants, I'm still not going to become a fan of coffee.
- It is good to double-check that both sunscreen and bug repellent have been applied copiously before journeying outdoors in the rainy season.
- Bring no cotton clothes.
- Platanos maduros may be among the most delicious foods ever invented.
- Do not leave your items unattended, or the raccoons and monkeys will find a great use for them.
- Lens polarizers are awesome.
- Whiny prebubescents may very well be the bane of my existence.
- Costa Rica has no army or street signs.
- Costa Rica's Caribbean coast is no longer safe for tourists because the drug cartels have moved in. Thanks to my drug using acquaintances for supporting the tainting of Costa Rica. I hope your high is worth it.
I can definitely see myself returning to Arenal and Manuel Antonio. Time spent there was just too short. Monteverde was beautiful, though I can only see myself returning to explore the mountain towns and catch a glimpse of the elusive quetzal. I understand that Guanacaste and Osa Peninsula are absolutely phenomenal for wildlife viewing, so I could definitely see myself exploring these areas in the future.
For as much as I griped, I did have a lot of fun traveling with my family. There were some language issues, but for the most part, there were a lot of laughs to be had. I'm lucky in that respect. We may have another trip planned next year for my brother's graduation and mom's birthday. Maybe China. The language barrier will be there for all of us... or will it? Travel log out.

I went to Costa Rica a year ago for a few months. It's a shame about the Caribbean side because Puerto Viejo was my favorite place in the whole country.
ReplyDeleteYou're so right about the ticos, they are all FLABBERGASTED when they meet an American who speaks Spanish, and it becomes an immediate point of connection.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!