Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Like to Hear Voices

I read an interesting book last night that prompted me to make some changes to break out of my Social Cocoon. In that post, I hypothesized that fear is partially responsible for the popularity of digital communication over verbal (e.g. the fear of interrupting, the fear of a Freudian slip, or the fear of seeming vapid or intrusive). So, on recommendation that I face a fear per day, I decided to cut back heavily on my text message conversations in favor of the verbal.

Apart from the facing of fear, there is a practical reason for favoring verbal to textual. It is more efficient to share information in a five-minute conversation than in a three-hour exchange of sporadic texts with character limits. It is additionally a more effective cerebral exercise to express oneself clearly and concisely without the luxury of a Delete button.  It is thirdly a more effective means of gauging a person's emotional subtext and meaning.

Practicality aside, I spent 90% of my social life online in high school and held more than half of my conversations over text throughout college.  As a result of these habits, I began to feel a profound disconnect from people, especially on the emotional level.  Texts are not emotional, no matter how many CAPITALIZED LETTERS and exclamation marks one can add.  At my low point I decided I had become too robotic to fit in with the human race, and I was miserable.  This was less than a year ago.

I don't think it will be easy to make this switch.  Phone and face-to-face conversations take time, which is a scarce and precious commodity, especially in Los Angeles.  Still, I am convinced that the return to humanity from the robotic will be worth the time and effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment